Posts

8 COVID-19 cases detected

Image
(To watch the full press briefing with sign language interpretation, click here.)   The Centre for Health Protection today said it is investigating eight additional COVID-19 cases, four of which are locally transmitted with unknown sources of infection.   The four local cases include an office worker, a foreign domestic helper, a construction worker and a returnee from the Mainland.   Of the four remaining cases, three are imported while the other is yet to be classified.   The unclassified case is a 56-year-old woman. She returned to Hong Kong from the Mainland through the Return2HK scheme and was confirmed infected while undergoing home quarantine in a subdivided unit at a building in Tsuen Wan.   The CHP said that as the woman had never left the building she is likely to be an imported case. However, they needed to wait for more test results before she could be classified.   The centre also gave an update on the COVID-19 patient with the South African variant of the viru

BidVertiser

Virus tests in restricted areas end

Image
The Government announced that the compulsory testing exercises and enforcement operations for the restricted areas in Tsuen Wan finished today. A total of about 1,195 residents were tested and no confirmed COVID-19 cases were found.   It exercised the power under the Prevention & Control of Disease (Compulsory Testing for Certain Persons) Regulation on April 19 to make restriction-testing declarations to require people within the specified restricted areas at Fu Yung Building and Block 4 of Belvedere Garden Phase 2 to stay in their premises and undergo compulsory testing.   The Government also issued compulsory testing notices to those who had been at these buildings for more than two hours from April 6 to 19 to undergo mandatory testing by April 21 even if they were not at the buildings when the declarations took effect.   About 280 residents in Fu Yung Building and about 915 people in Block 4 of Belvedere Garden Phase 2 were tested.   The Government also checked about 595

Bogus health call alert issued

Image
The Department of Health issued an alert today about fraudulent phone calls from a caller claiming to be a staff member and instructing people to  go to a quarantine centre or to the department's headquarters for quarantine.   The phone calls were purportedly made by the department's client relations hotline at 2836 0077.   The department said it did not make the calls and has reported the matter to Police.   It explained that if staff need to contact the public through the hotline they will provide relevant information to verify the identity of both parties, but will not ask for sensitive personal information.   The Centre for Health Protection's hotlines at 2125 1111 and 2125 1122 allow the public to verify the identity of authorised officers if necessary.   The department urged the public to stay alert and if they receive suspected fraudulent calls not to follow the caller's instructions and report the matter to Police. http://dlvr.it/Ry2ycj

Mascot naming contest set

Image
The Education Bureau today encouraged parents and students to take part in a naming competition for the family of its Mommy Light and Daddy Light parenting campaign mascots.         The competition aims to enable students and parents to familiarise themselves with the ambassadors of the Positive Parent Campaign and their family members, and understand that good parent-child relationships are important for child development.        The contest will be held in two stages. Students and parents are welcome to suggest creative names for the son and daughter of Mommy Light and Daddy Light at Stage 1.   Ten pairs of names will be selected by a panel of adjudicators for the My Favourite Names vote at Stage 2. The pair of names with the highest number of votes will be given to the two new members.        The winners of the 10 pairs of names selected by the panel of adjudicators at Stage 1 will receive book coupons.   The first three pairs of names with the highest numbers of votes at

42 pollution convictions in March

Image
The Environmental Protection Department today announced it recorded 42 convictions for pollution offences in March.   Twenty-three convictions were under the Public Cleansing & Prevention of Nuisances Regulation, while 13 were under the Waste Disposal Ordinance.   There were also two convictions for air pollution and one each under the Environmental Impact Assessment Ordinance, the Product Eco-responsibility Ordinance, the Noise Control Ordinance and the Water Pollution Control Ordinance.   The heaviest fine was $16,000 given to a company for importing controlled waste without a permit. http://dlvr.it/Rxz31G

HK records 12 COVID-19 cases

Image
The Centre for Health Protection today said it is investigating 12 additional COVID-19 cases, one of which is locally transmitted and epidemiologically linked with a local case.   The new local case involves an 84-year-old man who lives in Block 2, Oi Fai House, Yau Oi Estate, Tuen Mun. His unit is adjacent to a previously confirmed case on the same floor.   The centre explained that it is proactively following up to investigate whether the infections of the cases are related.   Given environmental contamination on the same floor of the building cannot be excluded, the Department of Health will issue quarantine orders to all remaining asymptomatic residents on the 8th floor of Block 2, Oi Fai House in Yau Oi Estate and transfer them to quarantine centres while symptomatic residents will be sent to the hospital for treatment.   Separately, the centre is continuing its investigation of a confirmed case announced yesterday. The 31-year-old woman was a staff member working at a cli

1.09m vaccine doses given

Image
About 1,091,100 doses of COVID-19 vaccines have been administered to the public, with about 719,900 people receiving their first dose and about 371,200 people getting their second dose.   Among those given the first dose of vaccines, about 375,600 people have received the Sinovac jab and about 344,300 people have received the BioNTech one.    For the second dose, about 223,100 people have received the Sinovac vaccine, while about 148,100 people have been administered the BioNTech jab.   About 3,600 people received their first dose of the Sinovac vaccine under the COVID-19 Vaccination Programme today.   Among them, about 3,200 people received the jab at eight community vaccination centres (CVCs), while about 400 were inoculated at private doctors and clinics participating in the programme.   Around 10,400 people received their second dose of the Sinovac vaccine today, including about 9,800 people vaccinated at CVCs and about 600 people through private doctors and clinics.